Characteristics of a Godly Man

3:55 PM Edit This
1 Timothy 3:1-7

“This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work.

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.”

I remember Pastor Steve talking about this scripture. Just as Proverbs 31 talks about the “Godly wife/woman” this would be the scripture as to how a husband/man lives his life. Although, I far from desire a mate/spouse in my life, I do feel that I should be wise and write down the characteristics of a Godly man in my heart. I remember I was told years ago and it was brought up recently, the way to spot counterfeit money is not by studying variations of the counterfeit money BUT study the “real deal.” Once you know what the “real deal” looks like you can easily spot the counterfeit if it comes your way. If protecting your dollar is a big deal then how much more important is it to guard your heart from potential poison of another? Proverbs 4:23 NIV states, “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.”

1 Timothy 3:1-7 shows us the characteristics of what a Godly man should possess. However, we all have our “wish list” too. I, for instance, would certainly love a great cook. Actually, my list keeps growing and growing. Does this mean I will meet someone with all of these qualities? No. However, I do feel the characteristics of the Godly man should not waver. None of us are perfect. I believe it is all about being balanced. We will not always possess good behavior. Is that man/woman consistently the 1 Timothy 3:1-7 man and/or Proverbs 31 woman? If not, are they more so on a rollercoaster or having an identity crisis? I think consistency is important.
I decided to write this after reading an old email concerning dating that I received from a friend. I will have to post it. For those who are praying for God to place that man/woman of God in your life…keep your eyes and heart open. Do not settle for less than God’s best for you.